Saturday 6 August 2016

Make Yourself At Home


I’ve had a blog from early 2009, sometimes I updated regularly, sometimes I left it for months on end, but I loved it all the same.  After we got married my blog was filled with hopes for the future (loads of babies) and things I loved (playing house).  It was a bit Marie Antoinette and zeitgeisty, and the community was very enthusiastic and friendly.  I loved it but over time I felt like I was changing and I didn’t know if I should change the content of the blog, it’s a bit abandoned now but it’s mine and I love to read my old posts and remember what excited my 23 year old newlywed self.    

When we shipped out to Singapore Mark set up a blog which I tagged along with and ended up mostly filling with our adventures.  I couldn’t bring myself to write about the heart-breaking stuff and we unfortunately had a spell of family tragedies and illness, as well as some shockingly bad visitors which knocked the wind out of our sails a bit.  However, it was difficult to write when every spare minute was taken up by wonderful friends, new places to visit, and events or clubs to volunteer for. 

Now we’ve settled into Devon a little bit more, bought our own house and think of this place as home in a sense.  I kept meaning to (and attempting to) update my old blogs but I just couldn’t do it, so here I am, back at the starting line.

I blog because I ‘always’ have and I love it, I can’t keep a diary for longer than a month, but I can keep memories here and share the stuff I love.  Part of the stuff that I love is writing and when I got into the swing of it I had the confidence to write as a side hustle which I felt both blessed and humbled to do. 

So, here’s my ‘here goes nothing’, my corner of the internet and place where I can store memories and thoughts.